Tuesday 16 September 2014

Module 10

Learning Communities, Constructing Knowledge Together in Wikis, Nings & Sites.

WIKIS!!!

Wow! That was fun wasn't it!!!!
Okay, yes, I did learn a lot, but....
It did take some time as there was a lot to cover....
First, we had wikis....
Several YouTube clips and a few sleeps later, I had created my VERY OWN wiki. 
Quite proud of myself I might add... 
My Year 4 class are suitably impressed... 
So am I...
 It was doable and I am looking forward to doing more, but later...
 I had tried to insert my Glog from a previous module, but after a near divorce, gave this up as a bad idea. I did google what to do and found a great prezi outlining what to do, but I still ended up with half a glog embed in my page....
I hope you realise that two months ago, words like prezi and glog didn't even exist in my vocabulary. 

This is the cover from my wiki!!! I have actually added to it over the last few days. I did like the fact that while I was working with one group of children on the areas they were up to, I could suggest to other children that they go and explore the newly added pages like 'volcanoes' and start on the next explanation sequence.



NINGS!!!
 I did like what I saw with the link we were given from our course, so I joined the English Ning and a few days later they decided I wasn't too bad and accepted me!

If you look really carefully, you can see me down at the bottom and at the top of the right hand screen! Just thought I ought to show I had looked at things!


Google Sites!!!
Last, but not least.... 

I do like Google sites and do plan to re-investigate and create sites using this medium in the HUGE amount of free time we have as teachers and parents...

I did look at this very briefly on the Google App Boot Camp I participated in last year. Last year I was battling with a failing laptop from the antiquated equipment with missing keys on keyboards etc that my school was victim to. (I didn't have my own laptop). Things are improving A LOT on that front in 2014 ... 

This time round, there has been a lot more time to study things, not just two brief days (albeit unpaid and away from my family and many late nights to also fulfill my school work commitments). I have also had access to my own PC and iPad. Much better than relying on archaic and broken school equipment. 

Although I am relatively familar with the iPad and use it a lot in my classroom, a substantial amount of Web 2 isn't yet iPad friendly.  


On That Note....

I will save the rest of my ramblings for the final course reflection. If I say anything else here, I won't have anything else to say there. 

That could be a blessing I can imagine some of you thinking...

I can only imagine that though. 

Despite a few people checking out my blog, comments are few and far between so I will remain forever feeling like I am simply talking to myself.

That's okay though. 

From being a little girl I kept a diary and I can remember the horror of discovering my deepest teenage angst's had been shared with the public when my dear (?) sister saw fit to sit down and share my hidden diaries with her friends over a cup of coffee, a giggle and a cigarette.... (Remember those things?! Cigarettes I mean! I do recall them fondly, despite potential ill affects on health.  Sisterly moments however, are sometimes best forgotten.) 

That, I  think, is my biggest fear with social media.

It has such an awesome potential for good, but invasion of privacy is truly a huge issue. Paper diaries and photo albums can cause embarrassment on a small scale with those who have physical access to them. Social media can truly hurt on a global scale with people we have never met knowing our most intimate details.

Those secrets shared by us, remain our responsibility. Our information shared with a global audience and disclosed by others for whatever reason, is a concern. 

Sometimes the interest others have in us is because they wish to get to know us -  in a real and meaningful way.

Tangible and physical.

Not through an avatar or some 'social' image we have have chosen to create. 








  

No comments:

Post a Comment