Wednesday 20 August 2014

Module 8

RSS Feeds Demystified and Feedly.

I did take a long time to work through this as I seem to find myself playing with things all the time and discovering interesting looking sites that I felt compelled to go and look at!

I always did wonder what an RSS feed was...

I am not sure that I would use Feedly with my year 4 class that much - if at all. To try and make it relevant to my class, I did add educational sites that were both child and Feedly friendly. One was from National Geographic and one was nrich - a great maths site. They are both sites I have regularly used and book marked through traditional book marking - although I added them both to Diigo after the last module!

The bulk of the other sites I added were all for me. Some I found using the Feedly search engine, others I transferred from my Scoop-it page and my computer book marks. I still think I would be more inclined to simply go and check a site/blog when I required information or had the time. I am not that desperate to keep up with all the latest on a daily basis and as a primary school teacher with two little boys, time is not something I have available in bucket loads. That either makes me very honest or seem incredibly unworldly and I can imagine quite a few people now dismissing me as tragic. But at least I am honest....

I captured a picture of my newly created Feedly account. The page I have open is in 'magazine format' with the newest content from nrich being displayed. This would be attractive and user friendly to children.They would still need to be directed to a particular page if I wanted them to be learning something specific though.

Feedly for Children


Feedly for me!


                       Great Back to School Ed Tech Rubrics ~ Educational Technology and Mobile Learning

I just had to get some pictures in. At least it proves I am doing everything! And so on to Module 9....

By the way,  am also pretty excited that I worked out how to embed 'click on URL's'. Okay, obvious to some and it wasn't that hard, but I thought it would be!!! I think the maths site is really worth a look at!







No comments:

Post a Comment