Saturday 16 August 2014

Module 7

Social Book Marking

delicious and diigo

Two more brand new discoveries. 

I read the blurbs on each and did a little research and decided to go with diigo. It seems a lot of teachers do use this one in the classroom. I didn't explore delicious too fully, but was attracted to a lot of the features that diigo has. Delicious may also have them.    

What I liked: 

The ability to high light and add sticky notes to texts. This could be great for directing research in the classroom and allowing for collaboration on texts. 

Being able to sign up and create class groups.

Children can be directed straight to a group of sites, saving time.

Ability to capture pictures straight from the internet and save them with tags or URLs. I didn't have any luck with the capture and annotate - but  from what I read I think this feature may not be available on google chrome at the moment.


This captured screen shot shows some text I high lighted in different colours and the two little yellow boxes are 'sticky notes'. I did have more of both, but could only screen shot what was on the screen... 

You click on the sticky notes when you are on the site and they open up so you can read the content. I like the fact that sticky notes can be added to by each person who views them. Comments by the students would be an excellent way to check for understanding and get opinions. A variation on handing the paper around the classroom. 


Still learning:

I am still trying to work out how to organise everything into a neat library as I saw on 
Sherryn Moore's diigo site. I have managed to group everything into lists for different subjects.

Until I work it out, every site I visit is showing up in diigo, regardless of whether I book mark it or not. This could very soon become unmanageable and I have done a lot of deleting. Any advice on how to avoid this would be great! It is like it is saving it all to history, but the history is there regardless of whether I want to view it or not.

I would love to become better at using and understanding the features available on diigo.


As this screen shot shows, things could become overwhelming if I don't work out how to stop saving every page I visit! Down the left are the lists I have created.


Pinterest and scoop.it 

I have been using Pinterest for a while and only recently discovered and joined scoop.it , so it was interesting to see how these alternative book marking sites worked in comparison. They all offer different things, but the ability to add straight from the site you are on is not always an option for either pinterest or scoop.it and requires copying and pasting URLs. 

            pinterest with pretty pictures....



and scoop.it



https://diigo.com/023sfm

I love picture picture books, so I guess I can't help but add pictures to make it all a bit more fun... I must admit though, you do sometimes feel like you are talking to yourself when you blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment